Anthony K. Hedley, MD, FRCS
A Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, Anthony K. Hedley, M.D., FRCS, is a recognized orthopedic surgeon, author, researcher and educator, specializing in joint reconstruction and replacement, as well as arthritis. An extremely skilled surgeon, Dr. Hedley is known as "the doctor's doctor." In addition to being listed in the "Who's Who Worldwide," Dr. Hedley has been listed in "The Best Doctors in America" every year since its inception in 1992.
Holding several patents, Dr. Hedley has been involved in the design and development of hip and knee implants for 26 years. He is the principal investigator in several research projects investigating joint replacements and has received numerous awards and honors, including the Hip Society's Otto Aufranc and John Charnley awards for his outstanding contributions to reconstructive hip surgery.
An internationally-recognized speaker, Dr. Hedley was featured in several documentaries that were nationally syndicated on PBS and several cable channels, including Discovery Health . His documentaries include:
- The Implant: Hip Revision Surgery
- The Implant II: Knee Replacement
- The Implant III: Hip Revision Surgery
Dr. Hedley received his medical degree from the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, South Africa, and is registered as a specialist orthopedic surgeon from the South African Medical and Dental Council. He completed his fellowship in orthopedic surgery at St. Thomas Hospital in London, and his postdoctoral studies in orthopedic surgery and bio-engineering at the University of California, Los Angeles (Division of Orthopedics, Department of Surgery) — where he also served as an assistant professor of surgery/orthopedics. In 1982, Dr. Hedley joined Affiliated Bone & Joint Surgeons (ABJS) in Phoenix, AZ. ABJS became the Arizona Institute for Bone & Joint Disorders, where he served as president. He was also the chairman of orthopedics at St. Luke's Medical Center from 1987 to 2018.
Awards, Honors & Recognitions
- Super Doc
- Checkbook Top Doc
- Hip Society's Otto Aufranc and John Charnley Awards
- "The Best Doctors in America" every year since its inception in 1992.
Publications & Presentations
- In Vivo Knee Kinematics in Patients with Bilateral Total Knee Arthroplasty of 2 Designs. Okamoto, N., Breslauer, L., Hedley, A.K., Mizuta, H., Banks, S.A.; J Arthroplasty . 2011 Sep.
- Two-year follow-up of the PCA noncemented total hip replacement. Hedley, A. K., Gruen, T. A., Borden, L. S., Hungerford, D. S., Habermann, E., Kenna, R. V.; Hip . 1987.
- Revision of failed total hip arthroplasties with uncemented porous-coated anatomic components. Hedley, A. K., Gruen, T. A., Ruoff, D. P.; Clin Orthop Relat Res . 1988 Oct.
- The prevention of heterotopic bone formation following total hip arthroplasty using 600 rad in a single dose. Hedley, A. K., Mead, L. P., Hendren, D. H.; J Arthroplasty . 1989 Dec.
- A posterior approach to the hip joint with complete posterior capsular and muscular repair. Hedley, A. K., Hendren, D. H., Mead, L. P.; J Arthroplasty . 1990.
- Extended proximal femoral osteotomy for severe acetabular protrusion following total hip arthroplasty. A technical note. Firestone, T. P., Hedley, A. K.; J Arthroplasty . 1997 Apr.
- Magnitude of cement-device interfacial stresses with and without tibial stemming: impact of BMI. Gopalakrishnan, A., Hedley, A. K., Kester, M. A.; J Knee Surg . 2011 Mar.